Treasure Valley Artists Alliance / Nampa
CALL TO ARTISTS
Thirst: An Art Exhibition by
TVAA at Nampa Civic Center
May 16 – September 19, 2023
Opening Reception Saturday June 10, 6-8pm
image by vsurkov
“Aquifer depletion is a largely invisible threat, but that does not make it any less real.” ~ Lester R. Brown
What happens when something so precious, so vital to life, slides into scarcity? Idahoans receive the majority of their water from the aquifer beneath, an underground source for a growing population projected to reach over 1 million people just in Ada County by 2040, if not sooner. What happens when the water runs out? Most take the steady flowing faucet for granted, yet a growing number whose faucets no longer flow because their wells dried up know the worth of water.
What does this desire, this thirst look like to the artist’s eye? What solution avails the mind’s eye face to face with scarcity? Capturing every precious drop? Redirecting wayward flows back into the aquifer? Purposefully injecting waste water back into the ground? There are solutions such as utilizing “grey water” when water has been used once, partially treated or untreated and reused for landscaping purposes and to recharge aquifers. Homeowners can capture rainwater in barrels, build rain gardens for sinking rainwater back into the ground water, and use native drought tolerant plants. These ideas and more would be important solutions to the water crisis. Show the world your thirst for this most precious natural resource.
Creativity with the theme is always encouraged. We are asking for a maximum of 6 pieces per artist. Multiple artworks from a series are encouraged. Artist’s statement is very important. Please include an artist’s statement that details how each work is relevant to the theme (100 words or less). You may provide a separate artist’s biography or general statement (100 words or less). Our host, the Nampa Civic Center is a public all ages venue.
- All mediums will be considered.
- Nampa Civic Center has a glass case with space for displaying 3D sculptural work. Please provide pedestals or risers marked with your name and phone number.
- Only family friendly subject matter will be considered.
- This is a curated show with limited space. Not all submissions will be accepted.
A TVAA member at the Exhibiting Artist membership level in good standing through the dates of this exhibition may submit for no additional fee. TVAA members at the Artist membership level and non-members may pay a $25 submission fee to be in this show. Acceptance is not guaranteed.
Click here to join now if you are not yet a member and would like to join the TVAA. Annual membership is $75.
- Provide your name and contact information.
- Please provide your artist’s social media handles and website links.
- Please include title of work, medium, total dimensions including frame for each artwork, price or value (even if not for sale).
- Please include an artist’s statement.
- You may submit up to six digital images of original work(s).
- See below for submission period and deadline.
- Image files should be named as follows; artists last name followed by title and submission entry number (example: Smith_Hero_01.jpg)
- Image files must be in JPG format and no larger than 2MB. Please see the article on Photo Tips for preparing quality photos of your artwork. High quality photos are strongly encouraged, since this is how your work will be evaluated. There will also be an online version of this show using the images you send in with your application.
- Late entries will not be accepted, so be advised to not wait until the last minute to submit an entry, allowing time to catch any technical issues with an application.
Click the Apply Now! button at the bottom of this page to begin your application. Submission confirmation email will be automatically sent. If you do not receive this email, please contact curator or resubmit application.
PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS ADDRESS IS IN YOUR CONTACTS SO EMAILS TO YOU REGARDING THIS SHOW WON’T BE TREATED AS SPAM:
Acceptance of Work
See Application Procedure above for fees related to this exhibition. Artwork selected for the exhibition must be available from the drop-off date through the pick-up date. Substitutions will not be considered. If you think there will be a conflict in scheduling a particular artwork, please do not submit that piece. The Exhibition committee reserves the right to exclude any artwork for any reason, including not being appropriately prepared for installation.
Hanging Devices and Presentation
Each accepted artwork should be ready to hang with well securely mounted D-rings and framing wire. Sawtooth hangers are not acceptable. Read this article for information on professional framing and appropriate hanging devices. The Nampa Civic Center uses a hanging system of cables and hooks which will not work with other types of hanging devices. Pieces without appropriate hanging devices will not be installed.
Frames need to be securely attached to artwork and in good condition. Unframed artworks, such as gallery-wrapped canvases, are acceptable as long as they have presentable edges (example: no visible staples).
Please contact curator in advance for special display needs, such as especially heavy artworks, electricity needs, etc.
Delivery of Artwork
Accepted artwork must be dropped off during specified time and place (see below). All artwork should be labeled on the back with the artist’s name, the title of the piece and any special hanging instructions. This is important for properly identifying each piece, as signatures are sometimes hard to decipher. Artists will also be required to fill out and sign a release waiver and drop-off sheet upon delivery of work. Please take your packing materials home with you, as there is no storage available.
Each venue has specific policies regarding artwork sales, posting of prices and artist’s contact information. Neither TVAA nor the Nampa Civic Center will handle any sales.
Artists may provide email contact information to be printed on gallery tags. Artwork for sale will have the works labeled with the price as well as description of the work and a brief artist statement. Any work not for sale will be labeled NFS.
When the show comes down, if the artwork has sold, artists are encouraged to donate 10% to TVAA (link to donation page) retaining 90% of the sale for themselves. Sold work must remain on exhibition for the duration of the show and can have a “red dot” on the label indicating the work has been sold. Purchases must be arranged by the individual artists and their buyers.
- February 19, 2023 Submission of digital images begins
- April 30, 2023 EXTENDED Midnight deadline for submission of digital images of original artwork
- May 1, 2023 Notification of accepted artworks emailed to artists
- May 16, 2023 Accepted artwork delivered to venue, 3pm–6pm
- June 10, 2023 Artists Reception
- September 19, 2023 Exhibition closes, pick up artwork at Nampa Civic Center between the hours of 3pm-6pm