poster graphics by Will Spearman
TVAA Opus 2023
Annual Juried Show
July 5, 2022 to July 31, 2023
Water’s Edge Gallery
Riverside Hotel, Boise, Idaho
JUROR: Sue Latta
Submit your best work that has been mostly created and completed in the last year (since June 1, 2022).
Open theme – you get to decide what you want to show.
Open to all 2D (wall-hung) or 3D* media.
There will be a guest juror and cash awards.
If you have a story or statement about the work, please share it in 100 words or less.
2D (wall hung) artwork or 3D* that can safely be wall-mounted may be accepted for the physical show at the Riverside. Wall hanging apparatus is mostly rail and cable. There is good display lighting in most places.
* 3D artwork can be included for the online version of the show and in judging and awards.
There is no size limit (within reason). Please contact the curator if you plan to enter something exceptionally huge or heavy or have unusual needs for display (such as electricity).
Please read carefully, as there are some special and new requirements for this show.
A TVAA member at the Exhibiting Artist membership level in good standing through the dates of this exhibition may submit for no additional fee.
Opus 2023 is for TVAA members only. Click here to join now if you are not yet a member and would like to join TVAA. Annual Exhibiting Artist membership is $75.
TVAA members at the Artist membership level may pay a $25 submission fee.
- You may submit up to three digital images of original work during the application period stated below. (See below for additional images for 3D work)
- Please include your name, title of work, medium, dimensions (image and framed sizes), for each artwork, price or value (even if not for sale), as well as your contact information.
- Files are to be named as follows; artists last name followed by title and submission entry number (example: Smith_Sunset_01.jpg). Note that images sent from mobile phone often have their file names altered and may not be acceptable.
- Image files must be in JPG or JPEG format and no larger than 2MB. Please see the article on Photo Tips for preparing quality photos of your artwork. High quality photos are strongly encouraged, since this is how your work will be judged. Poor photos may influence selection for this show. There will also be an online version of this show using the images you send in with the application.
- Maximum image files sizes and file naming requirement (see above) will be strictly enforced. Entries that do not comply will be not be accepted. If you have questions or need help in advance, please inquire early. Last minute assistance will not likely be available. Do not count on the curating team to catch errors before the deadline.
- Open to all mediums which can be wall hung using the venue’s cable & rail system.
- Original artwork only. No reproductions or “giclee” prints except for photography or specifically digital media.
- 3D artwork (not wall-hung) will be included with the online version of the show and judging. (Up to 3 images per art piece for 3D work). Unfortunately, the physical venue for this show cannot support 3D work on pedestals or in cases.
- Please keep the artwork family friendly for this venue.
- Artist Statement on each work is encouraged and must be 75 words or less.
- Please provide social media handles and website links which may also be included with any online promotion of this show, via your TVAA webpage.
- Late entries will not be accepted, so be advised to not wait until the last minute to submit an entry, allowing time to catch any technical issues with an application.
- Though not a requirement, it is recommended that artist signatures be minimal or digitally removed from the submitted digital images, as this is good practice for professional show submissions.
- This is a juried show with some cash awards.
- Water’s Edge Gallery will be taking a 20% commission and will be handling all sales and sales tax.
- NEW THIS YEAR – Buyers will be encouraged to leave the art in the show until the show closes, but art that is sold and departs early can be replaced by work of the same artist, with prior approval of the curator. It will be clearly noted as not part of the juried show.
Click the Apply Now! button at the bottom of this page to begin your application.
PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS ADDRESS IS IN YOUR CONTACTS SO EMAILS TO YOU REGARDING THIS SHOW WON’T BE TREATED AS SPAM:
Acceptance of Work
See Application Procedure above for fees related to this exhibition. Artwork selected for the exhibition must be available from the drop-off date through to the pick-up date. Substitutions will not be considered. If you think there will be a conflict in scheduling a particular artwork, please do not submit that piece. The Exhibition committee reserves the right to exclude any artwork for any reason, including not being appropriately prepared for installation.
This is a juried competition. It is possible that not all applicants or artwork will be included in this show.
Each accepted artwork should have an appropriate hanging device attached. Read this article for information on professional framing and appropriate hanging devices. If artwork is heavy, please make sure hanging device is suitable for weight and appropriate for cable-and-rail system.
Artwork that is delivered without appropriate hanging devices will not be installed or included in this show or eligible for awards.
For this show, most of the work will be cable-hung, which works best with fairly tight picture wire and D-rings. Loosely-wired or wires too low on framed pieces will not hang well on a cable system. Sawtooth hangers are not allowed.
Delivery of Artwork
Accepted artwork must be dropped off at the venue by the artist or artist’s representative. See below for date, time & location. All artwork MUST BE LABELED on the back of bottom of the piece with the artist’s name and the title of the piece, plus any special hanging instructions. This is important for properly identifying each piece, as signatures are sometimes hard to decipher. Artists will also be required to sign a release upon delivery of work. Please take your packing materials home with you, as there is no storage available.
The Water’s Edge Gallery will handle all sales and take 20% commission on sales from this show, paying 80% to the artists.
Work that leaves the show early because of a sale may be replaced (See above)
Sold work that remains on exhibition will have a red dot on the label indicating the work has been sold. Any work not for sale will be labeled “NFS”.
Artists will be required to sign a contract with the Water’s Edge Gallery, which can be previewed here.
- May 5, 2023 Submission of digital images begins
- May 31, 2023 Midnight (Wed.) Deadline for submission of digital images of original artwork
- June 10, 2023 (Saturday) Notification of accepted artworks emailed to artists by this date.
- June 23, 2023 contracts due to Water’s Edge Gallery
- July 1 (Sat.) [CORRECTION], 9 am-6 pm Accepted artwork delivered to The Riverside Hotel, 2900 W. Chinden Boulevard, Boise, ID 83714, Emerald Room
- July 5, 2023 Hanging of show
- July 7, 2023 (Friday) Opening Reception & Awards – 6-8 pm
- July 31, 2023 (Monday) Exhibition closes & pick up artwork from The Riverside Hotel, 9am-6pm