EPIC: An Art Exhibition
at the Nampa Civic Center
January 14, 2020 – April 21, 2020
Opening Reception January 31, 2020 7-9pm
“A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of
supernatural wonder. Fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won.” ― Joseph Campbell
The Hero’s / Heroine’s journey is the road map for artists to create artworks for this exhibition. The hero or heroine is an ordinary character called for a higher purpose or mission who encounters trials along the journey to self realization. Creativity with the theme is encouraged. The character can be from an existing narrative or your own invention. Consider subverting the theme with the unsung hero, the anti-hero, the hapless hero, etc. We are asking for a maximum of 5 pieces per artist. Artist’s statement is very important. Please consider including your subjects narrative as the 500 word artist’s statement. Artist’s bio must be 100 words or less. Our venue, the Nampa Civic Center will be hosting a live performance of Wizard of Oz by Music Theater of Idaho on the evening of the EPIC opening reception. As always we ask that the subject matter remain family friendly.
A TVAA member at the Exhibiting Artist membership level in good standing through the dates of this exhibition may submit for no additional fee. TVAA members at the Artist membership level and non-members may pay a $25 submission fee; acceptance is not guaranteed.
Click here to join now if you are not yet a member and would like to join the TVAA. Annual membership as an Exhibiting Artist is $75.
- You may submit up to five digital images of original work(s) beginning November 11, 2019 with a deadline of midnight, December 15, 2019.
- Please include your name, title of work, medium, dimensions (framed size) for each artwork, price or value (even if not for sale), as well as your contact information.
- Files should be named as follows; artists last name followed by title and submission entry number (example: Smith_Hero_01.jpg)
- Image files must be in jpeg format.
- Click the Apply Now! button at the bottom of this page to begin your application.
- Open to all mediums including 3D artworks.
- There is a glass case with limited space for displaying 3D work.
- 3D artists please provide pedestals or risers marked with your name and phone number.
- Please no nude images, as requested by our host venue.
- Artists Statements must be 500 words or less.
- Please provide social media handles and website links.
- Late entries will not be accepted, so be advised to not wait until the last minute to submit an entry, allowing time to catch any technical issues with an application.
- For tips on preparing quality photos of your artwork, please click here.
- NOTE: This is a curated show with limited space. Not all submissions will be accepted.
Acceptance of Work
See Application Procedure above for fees related to this exhibition. Artwork selected for the exhibition must be available from the drop-off date through to the pick-up date. Substitutions will not be considered. If you think there will be a conflict in scheduling a particular artwork, please do not submit that piece. The Exhibition committee reserves the right to exclude any artwork for any reason, including not being appropriately prepared for installation.
Each accepted artwork should be ready to hang with d-rings and framing wire. The Nampa Civic Center uses a hanging system of cables and hooks which will not work with other types of hanging devices. Gallery wrapped canvases are acceptable, but they must be at least 1.5” deep. Pieces without appropriate hanging devices will not be installed.
Delivery of Artwork
Accepted artwork must be dropped off at the Union Pacific Room of the Nampa Civic Center, 311 3rd St S, Nampa, Idaho, between the hours of 3pm and 6pm on January 14, 2020. All artwork should be labeled on the back with the artist’s name, the title of the piece and any special hanging instructions. This is important for properly identifying each piece as signatures are sometimes hard to decipher. Artists will also be required to fill out and sign a release waiver and drop off sheet upon delivery of work. Please take your packing materials home with you, as there is no storage available.
Artists may provide email contact information for contact by potential patrons. Artwork for sale will have the works labeled with the price as well as description of the work and a brief artist statement. Any work not for sale will be labeled NFS.
When the show comes down if the work has sold, artists are encouraged to donate 10% to TVAA retaining 90% of the sale for themselves. Sold work must remain on exhibition for the duration of the show and will have a “red dot” on the label indicating the work has been sold. Purchases must be arranged by the individual artists and their buyers. Neither TVAA nor NCC will handle any sales.
November 11, 2019 Submission of digital images begins
December 15, 2019 Midnight deadline for submission of digital images of original artwork
December 23, 2019 Notification of accepted artworks emailed to artists
January 14, 2020 Accepted artwork delivered to Civic Center Art Hallway, 3pm–6 pm (fill out and sign waiver and sign in sheet)
January 31, 2020 Opening Reception 7pm–9 pm at Nampa Civic Center
April 21, 2020 Exhibition closes, pick up artwork at Nampa Civic Center