Treasure Valley Artists
Alliance / Nampa
CALL TO ARTISTS
Flow State: An Art Exhibition by
TVAA at Nampa Civic Center
May 18, 2021 – October 5, 2021
Opening Reception TBD
An artist enters a level of consciousness in the process of creating art called the Flow State. Also know as being in the zone. It is a mental state of intense focus where the stream of creative ideas progress smoothly. Alternatively this theme can include images of other states of flowing; bodies of water, paint, drapery, curves, prose, economic, aerodynamic, electrical, whirlpool, viscous, etc. Allow your imagination to flow as you interpret this theme from your unique point of view.
Creativity with the theme is always encouraged. We are asking for a maximum of 5 pieces per artist. Multiple artworks from a series are encouraged. Artist’s statement is very important. Please include an artist’s statement that details how each work is relevant to the theme (100 words or less). You may provide a separate artist’s biography or general statement (100 words or less). Our host, the Nampa Civic Center is a public all ages venue.
- All mediums will be considered.
- Nampa Civic Center has a glass case with space for displaying 3D sculptural work. Please provide pedestals or risers marked with your name and phone number.
- Only family friendly subject matter will be considered.
- This is a curated show with limited space. Not all submissions will be accepted.
A TVAA member at the Exhibiting Artist membership level in good standing through the dates of this exhibition may submit for no additional fee. TVAA members at the Artist membership level and non-members may pay a $25 submission fee to be in this show. Acceptance is not guaranteed.
Click here to join now if you are not yet a member and would like to join the TVAA. Annual membership is $75.
- Provide your name and contact information.
- Please provide your artist’s social media handles and website links.
- Please include title of work, medium, total dimensions including frame for each artwork, price or value (even if not for sale).
- Please include an artist’s statement.
- You may submit up to five digital images of original work(s).
- See below for submission period and deadline.
- Image files should be named as follows; artists last name followed by title and submission entry number (example: Smith_Hero_01.jpg)
- Image files must be in JPG format and no larger than 2MB. Please see the article on photo tips for preparing quality photos of your artwork. High quality photos are strongly encouraged, since this is how your work will be evaluated. There will also be an online version of this show using the images you send in with your application.
- Late entries will not be accepted, so be advised to not wait until the last minute to submit an entry, allowing time to catch any technical issues with an application.
Click the Apply Now! button at the bottom of this page to begin your application. Submission confirmation email will be automatically sent. If you do not receive this email, please contact curator or resubmit application.
PLEASE MAKE SURE THIS ADDRESS IS IN YOUR CONTACTS SO EMAILS TO YOU REGARDING THIS SHOW WON’T BE TREATED AS SPAM:
Acceptance of Work
See Application Procedure above for fees related to this exhibition. Artwork selected for the exhibition must be available from the drop-off date through the pick-up date. Substitutions will not be considered. If you think there will be a conflict in scheduling a particular artwork, please do not submit that piece. The Exhibition committee reserves the right to exclude any artwork for any reason, including not being appropriately prepared for installation.
Hanging Devices and Presentation
Each accepted artwork should be ready to hang with well securely mounted D-rings and framing wire. Sawtooth hangers are not acceptable. Read this article for information on professional framing and appropriate hanging devices. The Nampa Civic Center uses a hanging system of cables and hooks which will not work with other types of hanging devices. Pieces without appropriate hanging devices will not be installed.
Frames need to be securely attached to artwork and in good condition. Unframed artworks, such as gallery-wrapped canvases, are acceptable as long as they have presentable edges (example: no visible staples).
Please contact curator in advance for special display needs, such as especially heavy artworks, electricity needs, etc.
Delivery of Artwork
Accepted artwork must be dropped off during specified time and place (see below). All artwork should be labeled on the back with the artist’s name, the title of the piece and any special hanging instructions. This is important for properly identifying each piece, as signatures are sometimes hard to decipher. Artists will also be required to fill out and sign a release waiver and drop-off sheet upon delivery of work. Please take your packing materials home with you, as there is no storage available.
Each venue has specific policies regarding artwork sales, posting of prices and artist’s contact information. Neither TVAA nor the Nampa Civic Center will handle any sales.
Artists may provide email contact information to be printed on gallery tags. Artwork for sale will have the works labeled with the price as well as description of the work and a brief artist statement. Any work not for sale will be labeled NFS.
When the show comes down, if the artwork has sold, artists are encouraged to donate 10% to TVAA (link to donation page) retaining 90% of the sale for themselves. Sold work must remain on exhibition for the duration of the show and can have a “red dot” on the label indicating the work has been sold. Purchases must be arranged by the individual artists and their buyers.
- February 1, 2021 Submission of digital images begins
- April 25, 2020 Midnight deadline for submission of digital images of original artwork
- May 3, 2020 Notification of accepted artworks emailed to artists
- May 18, 2021 Accepted artwork delivered to Venue, 3pm–6pm
- Opening Reception TBD (Pending current Covid-19 restrictions)
- October 5, 2021 Exhibition closes, pick up artwork at Nampa Civic Center between hours of 3pm-6pm.